Friday, May 23, 2014

Grandma Betty's Lasagna {Foodie Friday}



So I decided to post this today, because this is tonight's dinner. Lasagna is just one of those great meals that feeds a lot of people in a relatively short amount of time. Making a meal that is more involved is part of the fun for me, and this one is a nice balance of 'involved' and 'easy'.
This recipe is from my DH's grandma who has made it for years. It used to be a bi-weekly family event. My DH loves it so much and was so excited when I finally started making it. A great side option would be a salad and French Bread Rolls

One Year Ago: Manhattan Glazed Chicken
Two Years Ago: Bacon and Broccoli Quiche


Grandma Betty's Lasagna


Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
28 oz whole tomatoes, chopped
12 oz tomato paste
1 1/2 cup water
1 TB parsley
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp oregano
9 lasagna noodles (I used oven ready, but any kind will do, just cook them first if needed!)
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded or grated)

Directions
In a large saucepan (I used my LeCreuset Dutch oven), lightly brown the beef. Drain grease, add chopped onion. Let onion cook shortly, add tomatoes, paste, water and seasonings. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook lasagna (if needed).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a 13x9x2 pan, spread one cup of the sauce. Then alternate layers of sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese to fill the pan. 
Bake 40-45 minutes until the cheese on top starts to brown. Allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving.

Source: I believe this recipe was originally on a can of tomato sauce or something like that, but as far as I'm concerned, it's from grandma ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment