This recipe is from the infamous Picky Palate cookbook. I think the first time I saw this recipe it was just after Christmas and not prime pumpkin season, so I mentally bookmarked it for this year. Let me tell you, this pumpkin bread is the best I have ever had. My sister, who thinks all bread needs a little butter said this bread was perfect. I couldn't agree more. The streusel topping is just the icing on the cake-literally. I'll be baking this baby for years to come.
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
For the streusel topping:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease three 5 3/4 X 3" loaf pans (or one 9X5" loaf pan).
- For the cake:
- In a large bowl, mix oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Add pumpkin and mix well.
- Add 1 cup of flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- For the streusel topping:
- In a separate small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, brown sugar and butter and mix with hands or pastry cutter until coarse crumbs form.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over batter.
- Bake 25-30 minutes for small loaves (50-60 minutes for one larger loaf) or until toothpick inserted into center of bread comes out clean.
- Cool completely before removing from pan, cutting and serving.
Recipe adapted from The Picky Palate Cookbook
I'm linking up at: Your homebased mom, Thirty Handmade Days The Best Blog Recipes,Tatertots and Jello, Whipperberry, Buns in My Oven, Today’s Creative Blog, Design, Dining and Diapers, Iheartnaptime, Home Stories A to Z Home-Styled, Real Coake, Create, Craft, Love, Mostlyhomemade mom, Six Sisters’ Stuff, A Peek into My Paradise, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Love Grows Wild and Shabby Creek Cottage.