Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Photo Books- Making a List


“Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task.”

Isn’t this so true? I don’t know how your mind works, but I spend a lot of random time in my day thinking, “Oh, I need to remember to wash my jeans so they will be ready for tomorrow.” And then two hours later “ I need to remember to pick up that CD from the library” And other random things-the list just piles up to the point that I can’t remember any of it. I have a terrible memory and as soon as I get home I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. So the only thing I can do is to make a list. I know this isn't rocket science, but it works for me. 


Every day I make a list of the things I need/want to accomplish, but here’s the secret. I don’t usually get it all done. Some of the things on my list are things that I’m really just hoping to finish by the end of the week or so. If it doesn’t get done ‘today’ then I put it on tomorrow’s list.  It just helps me make time for life. Things come up so I can’t let my list define me. The other thing is that I usually don’t look at the list once I leave work *gasp* The simple act of just writing it down helps put my mind in gear for the things that I need to get done. This is the strategy that I have been employing for the last couple of months. It has really helped me to increase my productivity. 




Here’s an example of what my to do list looks like:

Do a load of laundry
Edit graduation photos
Make grocery list
Make brownies
Return book to the library

When I have a big event/project coming up I break it into portions of my to do list for the whole week. Then I just add a piece to each day.

What does this have to do with getting a photo book accomplished? Well, I follow the same strategy when making photo books. I start with a list. A very detailed list with all the steps from start to finish. Making the list gets me excited to actually complete the tasks on it and helps me actually get started. Here’s an example of a list for one of the photo books I am planning on doing this year:

Twin photo book-2012

  • Scan twin ultrasounds
  • Organize photos- I like to put all the photos into one folder for easier upload
  • Upload photos to Shutterfly
  • Pick photo book-I just pick one, name it and click save. They have a lot of choices, so this can sometimes be overwhelming.
  • Make photo book
  • Order photo book
  • Burn disk for photo book
I break out the individual steps to make the process more manageable. Putting "Make photo book" on my to do list will never happen, but if I put "organize photos from 2009" that I can probably do in 20 minutes and mark it off the list.

In my last post I asked you to make a list of all the photo books you would like to make. Today your task is to pick ONE and write out all the steps you need to complete it. 

For part 1 of this series, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment